In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Acadia National Park

CCC workers, Sieur de Monts Springs, 1934

Contributed by Acadia National Park
MMN Item 22176 Item Details
CCC workers, Sieur de Monts Springs, 1934
MMN Item 22176 Zoom

Description

Unidentified Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers are shown at Sieur de Monts Springs in Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island. There were two camps on Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor and Southwest Harbor.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt created the CCC in 1933 during the Great Depression to put men to work in National and State Parks to revitalize the forests and landscape that made up the parks.

In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson established Sieur de Monts National Monument for its connection to Samuel de Champlain and the topographic configuration, the geology, the fauna and flora of the island.

The name of the National Monument was changed in 1919 by an act of Congress to Lafayette National Park. A decade later, in 1929, the name of the park was changed to Acadia National Park.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.